Going to the beach is indeed fun and relaxing. However, for busy people, it’s quite challenging to always find time to have a vacation on a tropical island. If you are always missing the beach scenery, why not try creating a beach-style outdoor living space in your porch and yard? That way, you’ll be able to feel like you’re always on vacation even when you’re just at home.
If you can’t book a summer vacation in the tropics, then no worries because you can bring the summer destination to your home. By designing your porch and yard, you’ll be able to enjoy a lush oasis right in your own property. If you don’t know how to start or you need some ideas for decorating, you’re in the right place. Today, we are giving you 10 island-themed decorating ideas for your porch and yard.
1. Add some tropical plants to your porch and yard
You can transform your monochromatic patio into an exotic cabana by adding leafy tropical plants. If you live in regions that get very cold during the winter season, you can bring potted plants indoors before the frost starts, then set them out again when summer returns. But if you are not good at taking care of plants, you can also opt for artificial ones.
Here are some of the best tropical plants that you can use to decorate your porch and yard:
- Nearly Natural Golden Cane Palm Tree
- Artiflr Artificial Bird of Paradise Plant
- Casa Meva Artificial Ficus Tree
- CROSOFMI Artificial Monstera Deliciosa Tree
2. Create a fun focal point with a painted driftwood sign on your yard
You can use the signs you see at the beach as a decoration for your yard to make it look like you’re on an island. You can buy a driftwood pole and put different signages on it. It’s better if the signages are colorful to make your yard look livelier.
Here are some of the fun island-themed signs that you can use:
- Tinworld Tin Sign Coney Island Metal Sign
- Tide and Tales Wooden Beach Sign
- Smart Blonde Signs Surfboard Beach Signs
3. Add some beach sand to your yard to create an island paradise.
If you really want to feel that you’re on an island, then you can add some sand to your yard. To do this, you can opt for sandboxes. You can also create your own by using blocks to create a box and fill it with sand. Then, decorate it with beach chairs and mats.
Here are some of the best sandboxes that you can add to your yard:
4. Add some island-themed ceiling lighting to your porch
You can also change the ceiling lights on your porch to one that is island-themed, like a surfboard ceiling light. This way, when you look up, it would feel like you’re in a beach resort lobby.
Here are some of the best island-themed lights for your porch:
- Industrial Birdcage Island Light
- Nautical Theme Decorative String Lights
- Andersonlight Industrial Cage Ceiling Fan with 5 Palm Blades
5. Decorate your trees or plants with island-themed lanterns
If you want to feel the island vibes until nighttime, then you can also decorate the trees and plants in your backyard with island-themed lanterns. They will illuminate the whole place while still making you feel like you’re on a beach vacation.
Here are some of the best island-themed lanterns we found:
- Sun Kite Seashell String Lights
- Sea String Lights Seashell and Seahorse Decorative Lights
- LED String Lights with Ocean Conch Beach Theme
6. Decorate your exterior walls with oars
To make your yard and porch look beachier, you can decorate the walls outside with oars. You can paint them in different colors to make the ambiance brighter. There are also decorative oars that you can buy online. Here are some of them:
- Stratton Home Décor Nautical Oar Wall Decor
- Deco 79 Wooden Wall Art Wooden Oars
- YIYA Wooden Oar Décor with Starfish and Shells
- TG,LLC Treasure Gurus Wooden Mermaid Boat Oar
7. Hang some buoys to your fence
Aside from your exterior walls, you can also decorate your fence with buoys for more island vibes. Here are some of the best ones that we found:
- Stonebriar Beach House Blue No. 879 Square Wood Sea Buoy
- Decorative Life Ring Buoy
- Bilipala Rustic Nautical Decorative Life Ring Buoy
- Every Décor Large Blue & White MDF Buoy
- Wooden Nautical Life Ring Decorative Buoy
8. Place a spool side table on your porch
A spool side table is also a great accent for your porch. It can also make you feel like you’re on an island, with the decorative rope covering the table. We found this spool side table from Vintiquewise Store a great choice.
9. Design your yard with a pallet swing chair
Having a swing in your yard can also help in giving it some island vibes. You can easily create one by using a wooden pallet. You can hang on a tree it using some polypropylene rope. Then, decorate it with island-themed throw pillows.
10. Lay down some colorful rug on your porch
Putting a vibrant rug on your porch can turn it into a relaxing oasis. You can also place some carefully selected plants on the rug to make it look more comfortable and feel the island vibes.
Here are some beautiful rugs that you can choose from:
- Pinbeam Area Rug Blue Tropical Beach Water
- Jonathan Y Tropics Palm Leaves Area Rug
- Thomas Paul Starfish Area Rug
- Gertmenian Nautical Tropical Outdoor Patio Rug
These are some of the best island-themed decorating ideas that we can recommend for your yard and porch. All of these items can surely help in making your space look brighter and relaxing, just like when you’re spending time on a beautiful island.